Boracay team leader Michael Alojado loves teaching beginners kitesurfing lessons. Helping new people to enjoy our beautiful sport and his local islands are his twin passions. If you want to learn, he wants to teach you. Michael will teach you all the basics in not time. Before you know it you’ll be riding like a rockstar!
Kitesurfing can seem daunting at first but with expert guidance you can progress much more quickly than you might think. We’ll teach you everything from scratch. You’ll learn where it’s safe to kitesurf, how to fly a power kite, how to control an inflatable leading edge kite and help you gain the skills and confidence you need to get up on the board and fly.
Our beginners kitesurfing course is scheduled to run over 3 days. We recommend private tuition for beginners – it’s the quickest way for you to make progress, making progress will make you happy, and we want you to be happy!
Our beginners kitesurfing lessons are focused on you and the way you want to learn – we understand that different people learn in different ways, and Gray has devised a training methodology that will help you learn in the way that suits you best. To find out more about our training methodology visit this page.
Because beginners need a high level of attention we highly recommend booking private lessons while you learn the basics. Once you’ve got the key skills down you might want to switch to semi private or group lessons to save a bit of money while you improve specific skills.
Our beginners lessons are structured to teach you what you need to know in a specific order. That’s necessary for your safety, and to teach you the key skills you need to fly in a complementary order including:
Understanding safety procedures, reading the weather and location, flying a trainer kite, bar control, flying an LEI kite, bodydragging and board starts.
|DEPARTURE TIME||30 minutes before lesson is scheduled to begin|
|RETURN TIME||30 minutes after lesson ends|
|WEAR||Whatever you like, so long as you have something snug on underneath that will fit under a wetsuit. And bring a towel.|
- Wind theory 101.
- Learn how to assess variables in wind speeds, wind shadow, wind direction, offshore versus onshore wind and conditions for kiting.
- Identify hazards in a kitesurfing spot.
- Detailed explanation of the wind window.
- Learn the use of the safety systems.
- Learn to set up & fly an LEI (Leading Edge Inflatable Kite), underpowered. 2 out of 10 power.
- Learn precision bar & kite control.
- Learn how to check equipment and settings in flight.
- Understand and use the international communication signals.
- Understand the de-power, power system inflight.
- Launch and land to an assistant.
- Learn precision power strokes (kite technique to generate power, a similar concept to using the accelerator in your car to move forward). Underpowered.
- Learn advanced flying skills with the de-powered kite.
- 1 hand flying at 12 o’clock, pick up board and walk in both directions.
- Learn the art to 50/50 concentration on the two dimensions of kite & board. Graykites signature module.
- Learn to use the quick release and activate the leash.
- Learn to recover the bar and kite
- Determine the wind strength, direction and quality
- Know equipment set up and choice of kite size for different riding conditions.
- Enter and exit the water independently and safely while controlling the kite
- Water re-launch the kite
- Maintain correct kite position in the wind window.
- First down wind body drag while learning on a moderately powered up kite. 6 out of 10 power.
- Upwind body dragging, learning to change direction to the left and right while body dragging
- Upwind body drag to recover board
- Upwind body drag holding the board with one hand
- Enter and exit at the same point while upwind body dragging
- On dry land understanding your riding position, how to correctly load to the heel edge of your board.
- First board starts and holding your edge using Graykites signature tandem method.
- Combining correct Kite control and power with board start.
- First Superman (intentional or not)
- Control Edge of Board and power of Kite while maintaining speed
- Water starts in both directions and ride a short distance. More powered up now 7 out of 10 power.
- Come to a controlled stop
- Understand weather forecast, tide and wind effects
- Learn the right of way rules
- Control the riding speed by edging.
- Consistent riding in both directions.
- Consistent riding in all directions including upwind
- Ride amongst other riders and water users and respect right of way rules
- Change of direction without stopping
- Self- rescue
- Risk assessment and awareness of the riding area
- Self launch
- Make a toe side turn
- Know the basic theory and the safety rules for jumping. Learn to load and pop. Now graduated to an 8 out of 10 power in the kite.
- Land a basic jump
When you learn all that you’re good to go kitesurfing on your own!